This meal allows for very much variety of ingredients and different layering. The following is my first try at a casserole. Please make sure to also try meats and other ingredients (onions, garlic, tomatoes, potatoes, meats, sausages, etc.). The possibilities are endless.
- 120 g brokkoli
- 200 g cauliflower
- 145 g sweet bell pepper
- 200 g mushrooms
- 25 g chili peppers
- 1 egg
- 200 ml cream (I used a soy based alternative)
- 400 g cheese
- salt, pepper, herbs and spices for seasoning
- Pre-heat oven at 220°C and grease a casserole dish with butter.
- Steam brokkoli, cauliflower and bell pepper on the stove to get softer. I steamed the vegetables for almost 15 minutes (although they will cook again for 20 minutes in the oven later). I also pre-cooked the mushrooms for about 5 minutes (although they definitely will get soft and tasty during oven cooking later).
- While vegetables are steaming mix egg and cream.
- Layer all the ingrediens (be sure to add seasoning to your layers as desired – I added several pinches of salt, garlic powder and herbs to several layers).
- Put brokkoli, cauliflower and bell pepper on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Spread half of the cream mixture evenly on top of the vegetables.
- Spread half of the cheese evenly on top.
- Spread mushrooms evenly on top.
- Again spread the rest of the cream mixture and cheese on top.
- Add chili peppers (I preferred them on top as last layer to see where the hot bits are).
- Put in oven for 20 – 22 minutes (or until cheese has browned).
- Let cool off for at least 15 minutes.